If you’ve ever had a craving for pizza, but are trying to limit your carbs, then Meatzas are your best friend! This one is inspired by the Southwest BBQ Chicken Pizza at Dewey’s Pizza (one of my favorite cheat meals). It is every bit as satisfying!
- 2-3 pounds of grass-fed beef or extra lean (97%) ground beef
- 1 omega 3 egg
- 1.5 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1.5 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 Tsp pink Himalayan or Celtic sea salt
- 1/2 Tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup of Trader Joe’s BBQ sauce
- 1/3 cup of canned black beans – drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup of Trader Joe’s roasted corn
- 1 Tsp chili powder
- 1 Tsp dried cilantro
- 1/2 cup of sliced red pepper (saute with coconut oil and salt and pepper)
- 1/4 cup of thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup of shredded chicken breast (bake up a bunch and keep save some for this recipe to save time)
- 3/4 – 1 cup shredded cheese (optional – colby jack and mozzarella blend goes best)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F
- Combine the beef, egg, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Mix with hands to spread the spices throughout.
- Transfer to a 13 X 9 pan, and pack down until it’s about a 1/2 an inch thick. (Note: you need a pan with an edge to contain the juices from the meat – a regular pizza pan won’t work).
- Cook for 15-20 minutes, or until cooked throughout.
- While the crust is cooking, slice the vegetables and saute the red pepper for 3-5 minutes.
- Combine the roasted corn, black beans, a little salt and pepper, the chili powder and cilantro in a small dish.
- When the crust is finished cooking, remove it from the oven and drain any grease.
- Adjust the oven temperature to Broil.
- Top the crust with BBQ sauce, black bean and corn salsa (you may have more than you need), red pepper, onion, chicken and cheese (if using).
- Return to oven and broil for long enough to melt the cheese and give it a golden brown color.
- Once it’s done, remove it from the oven and allow it to rest a bit before cutting so the pieces stay together. Enjoy!
Tip: If you like a little extra spice, you can add hot sauce or red pepper flakes to crank up the heat!